Saturday, March 29, 2008

Why Doc a Day?

I work in documentary film and factual TV in Canada. Been at it for a while... and have lofty creative ambitions, not to mention High Standards. But I find, to my embarrassment, that I have enormous gaps in my knowledge of documentary film. Sure, I've seen my share of films and I have my favourites. I go to film festivals, occasionally get my act together and see the latest theatrically released doc, and sometimes watch films on TV. But I record a lot more films than I end up watching. And I have stacks of commercially released documentaries on DVD that I've been meaning to watch for months, sometimes years... not to mention copies of films by friends and colleagues that - here comes that embarrassment again - I never get around to watching.

So I've decided to try an experiment: I'm going to try - and I emphasize the word "try" - to watch a doc a day for a year, and write about it. I may miss days when I get busy, there certainly will be gaps when I'm away on shoots or on holiday. But I'll give it a shot. I'm taking the yoga approach: it's the intention that counts.

I started this morning, with a kind of marathon. I'm alone in the house this weekend, and what better way to spend the day than watching films. I'm up to three - I got ten minutes into the last one before I turned it off - and I think I'll try to get through at least one more before I call it a night. Oh yeah. That's one way I'm going to make it easier for myself: if I don't like a film, I have no intention of sitting through the whole thing.

And another thing: anything goes. I'm not going to restrict myself to films that are Important - though I'll try to get through the canon - and I will try to watch films by people I know and care about. That will mean watching episodes of factual TV series that some purists would sneer at. But as far as I'm concerned, we're all engaged in the same thing: real people (as opposed to actors) do stuff; we film it and put it on TV.

So here goes. Doc a Day. On average. Thereabouts. Let me know what you think.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh. Would love to know what film you turned off after ten minutes! Good luck with the project. I'm enjoying your choices, and your writing, so far.

Anonymous said...

I will tell you what I think,

You are a fraud who hides behind a blog and bashes people instead of picking up a camera and making a film yourself.

If your pov is so almighty, then why not reveal yourself so you can be criticized as violently as those you attack?

Chicken shit.

You profile reveals your compete inability to see a film for what it is rather than what you want.

Pathetic.

Winston.

ps. your site is now being monitored and every review is being forwarded to each distributor.

eric said...

Dear Winston,

Sometimes I wonder if anyone out there is reading this blog.

Thanks for the publicity.

mike said...

I have solid proof that Eric Geringas is DOC HOLIDAY. Sometimes bloggers are so confident in their hidden identities that they overblog and leave clues to their true identity. I have the proof and the cat is out of the bag. Great job Eric. I am sure your friends will love to finally find who you have been secretly attacking online. Good on ya!

eric said...

Dear Korbett Matthews, AKA Mike, AKA Paul, AKA Peter W., etc.

I realize that you've been obsessed for two months now with finding out my real name. Are you correct in your assumption, or have you confused me with some chump you had a fight with in fifth grade? Who knows?

What I know is that you've been obsessively googling yourself for weeks now - and for all I know, every waking day of your life. And your daily Google searches for variations of your name and "man who crossed the sahara" have made this blog one of the top hits on Google for the film. As a result of your self-obsession, everyone who happens to Google your film will see my review before any other. Nice work!

Good luck with your filmmaking career, Korbett. You should realize that making a mediocre film isn't necessarily a career-limiting move, but exposing yourself as an insecure, compulsive neurotic may be. The documentary world is small, and you never know who may be reading this blog.

mike said...

Hi Eric Geringas,

Don't you even want to know how I found out it was you?

You were pretty sloppy on a few other forums and your syntax is so repetitive that it almost hurts.

At least we can put a face on the anonymous Doc Holiday.

ps. Rather than attack others that you know on a very close basis, you should perhaps release a new film to show us how you have reinvented the wheel.

mike said...

Exposing yourself as a cowardly, double faced passive aggressive blogger is not too good for your reputation either Senor Eric Geringas.

Yes, the world is small and you were busted so easily.

It is nice to know that even you could not prevent me from finding your identity.

Life is sweet.

contessi said...

Jeez- I hope this idiocy can be put to a rest now. Mike, I don't care who you are and I don't care who this blogger is. WHY we should care?? Is Canada THAT small that all of you know each other?

This is a blog on the WORLDWIDEWEB about documentaries. People who like non-fiction film and are English speakers come to it to read interesting reviews. We are all not members of the (evidently miniscule) Canadian documentary world. Most of us will never be within 500 miles of you and really couldn't care less about these petty personal grudges.

Mike- Please stop. This is infantile.

Can we get back to discussing the films now?